Saturday, March 20, 2010

Off To The Market



"Brevity is the essence of wit"


I recently heard this quote and got to thinkin. I like to think of myself as a witty person - someone who makes amusing observations and whatnot - but I realize I often fail to display much brevity in my thoughts. Perhaps I shall try harder in my blog entries to do so.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now on to the important stuff...

It seems like every time Marcella and I see each other we end up attempting to complete items on our lists. Maybe this is because we motivate each other. Maybe it's because we like to share our accomplishments with one another. Or...maybe it's just because we have nothing better to do haha. But this most recent time I went up to Santa Barbara, we found ourselves inside on a sunny Sunday afternoon with a desire to achieve!! Naturally we both looked to our food-related items first to see what we could do...

Our decision: Go to a local farmer's market!
Marcella's goal: Buy fresh blueberries for Lemon Poppyseed
Blueberry Muffins
My goal: Buy fresh strawberries and raspberries to make a Razzmatazz Jamba Juice Smoothie

Every Sunday at the Camino Real Marketplace there is a local farmer's market where people sell fresh fruits and vegetables for relatively cheap prices. I've always wanted to go to a market like this just because it seems kinda cool to help out the local community and it also seems like a healthy alternative to buying processed and packaged stuff from grocery stores. You basically get what you buy here.



I noticed there was a slight carefree hippy feeling that was surrounding the farmer's market. A band was playing with acoustic guitars and everyone was just kind of laid back and happy to watch people browsing the various fruits and vegetables. Even though it was in the middle of a shopping center, it still fit in well with the whole beach life mentality in SB.

Since I was attempting to recreate the Razzmatazz smoothie (goal #74 btw), I wanted to follow the recipe to make it taste as similar as possible. The recipe just so happens to be posted online:


Jamba Juice: Razzmatazz

1 cup raspberries
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 sliced banana
2 cups raspberry sherbet or sorbet
1 1/2 cup ice

So I found the fresh raspberries and strawberries and made my selection. I had completed my goal to #76. Buy something at a farmers market. But alas, this was only half of my mission. I was not done with my smoothie goal yet. I didn't see any bananas and I doubt I was going to find any sherbert so we had to make a quick trip to the store to buy some of those processed, packaged goods I mentioned earlier. Marcella got her container of blueberries (and a latte from Starbucks - way to support a corporate chain at a local farmer's market!!) and we were good to go. We were off to make our creations...

We got home, set up shop and began assembling our respective treats. The smoothie was pretty easy to make, as buying the ingredients is most of the work. With a little cutting and a little blending, this:



became this:


and #74. Recreate a Jamba Juice smoothie was complete!


It tasted pretty darn close to the real thing too which was an added bonus. Granted, it is a lot easier to just pay 5 bucks at Jamba Juice to have them make it for me but there was a sense of accomplishment when my own creation came out tasting the same. Plus it was nice to kill two birds with one stone by buying the ingredients at the farmer's market :)


And thus ends another (hopefully not too verbose) entry in
A Day In The Life...

1 comment: