Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Year Of Travel

I'm back!! It's been about a 3-month hiatus but I decided the New Year was as good a time as any to jump back on the blogging horse. With the New Year usually comes a sense of renewal and anticipation for what's to come but I also like to look back at the previous 12 months and think about all the fun times I had.

If I had to pick a theme for this past year it would have to be travel. Whether it was 2-hour trips to Santa Barbara or quick plane rides home to Sacramento or even a 7000 mile drive across the country, it seemed like I was going somewhere every month! Traveling is definitely a trend I'd like to continue in 2011 because it's exciting to see new places and do things you couldn't otherwise do in the city you live in. And these new opportunities provide the proper setting to complete some Day Zero Project goals of course :)


To start the whole travel theme off with a bang, my first goal is #2 Drive 100 mph!



Just in case some higher authorities (or my parents) are reading this, this is totally a fake picture and I didn't really do this. But for everyone else, I really did drive 100 mph haha. And it was pretty scary too since one wrong bump in the road could've been a disaster. As you could probably imagine, the hardest part about it was taking a picture of the dashboard while I was driving. Luckily when I did this goal it was about 3 am on the road to Santa Barbara when nobody else was around. Weirdly enough I got my first speeding ticket a few months after this on the exact same stretch of road for going 85 mph. Good thing they didn't catch me going 100 because I'm pretty sure that's a felony for reckless driving or something. So yeah I don't think I'll be doing this one again anytime soon. Nevertheless... Goal #2 Drive 100 mph


Next stop on our fake journey is Santa Barbara and we've also come to another goal. The time of year: Halloween. The setting: pouring rain. The result:



Halloween in SB is pretty crazy. Thousands of people in the streets all in costume, cops on horses, and probably more alcohol consumption within a square mile than anywhere else in the country. The problem is that October in SB usually means rainy weather. Sometimes we're fortunate enough to escape it for a few days but this year it came down like the sky was angry at us. But as they say, "When life gives you lemons, say fuck the lemons and bail". Maybe that wasn't the right saying but anyway you get the idea. Marcella and I seized the opportunity to go out into the street and have a few passionate kisses. Except for the fake baby dangling in Marcella's hand, I'd say the picture does a fine job of capturing the moment. As a sidenote, after this kiss, we tried getting a cab home but the phonelines were jammed and we had to walk over 2 miles in said pouring rain :( Oh well... Goal #15 Kiss in the pouring rain


Our last destination for this post will be my hometown of Sacramento. Sadly, I only seem to go home two or three times a year but it's always fun hanging out with old friends and spending time with my parents. Just last month I flew home for Christmas and I figured I had to make the most out of the opportunity since I am rarely home. On one of my last nights there we went out to dinner at our favorite restaurant La Rosa Blanca. If you couldn't tell from the name it is a mexican restaurant and we've been going there since I was like 10 years old. Anyway, when the bill came at the end of the meal, the waitress put it in front of my dad as usual. However, before he could look at it, I reached across the table and simply said "I got it".



Needless to say, my parents were quite surprised and impressed.



Paying for my parents was pretty cool I guess. Since they've paid for literally every meal I've ever eaten with them, I figured it would be nice to treat them this once haha. Maybe next time I'll step it up a notch and actually drive them to a fancy restaurant and let them know the dinner is on me. When's their anniversary again....?

Goal #84 Take my parents out to dinner



Well that's it for this part of the trip. Stay tuned until next time when we visit Bakersfield, Vegas, and New York...

No comments:

Post a Comment