Monday, January 24, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake!!

As some of you may know, it was Marcella's birthday this
weekend and it wasn't just any birthday, it was the mother of all
birthdays - her 21st. Being the awesome boyfriend that I am,
I wanted to do something extra special for her to go along with the numerous gifts, loving mementos, fancy dinner,
and night out at the movies I gave her :)

Since I had goal #71 Bake a cake from scratch on my list, what better opportunity was there than Marcella's birthday to check this one off!


But wait. Before I get into my whole baking experience and drown you with descriptions and pictures, I'd like to set the mood with this comedy routine about cake from one of my favorite comedians Jim Gaffigan. So funny yet so true...




Alright, now that you're all moist and frosted, let's begin.
I didn't really know what would be a good recipe since I've never baked anything before in my life but my idea was to do layers of white and chocolate cake (to symbolize our inter-racial relationship of course). These recipes seemed as good as any:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/simple-white-cake/Detail.aspx
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/184/HERSHEY


Pretty standard ingredients I think



When I started this project, I didn't exactly realize making two different layers essentially meant baking two different cakes and twice as much work. Note to self for next time: Don't start baking an entire cake at 2 in the morning :/ But once I started, there was no turning back and I was determined to make a semi-presentable and hopefully edible birthday cake. So before I ramble on any more than I already have, I present to you my birthday cake adventure that took over 5 hours, involved a few curse words here and there, required some steady hands at times, and that finally landed me in bed at 7:30 AM tired and never wanted to see a cake again. Hope you enjoy :)



White Cake



Chocolate Cake (Two Layers)








Vanilla and Chocolate Frosting

Just Powdered Sugar, Milk, Vanilla, and Butter...Who Knew?



Almost There...Just Need To Trim The Sides And Add More Frosting




I DID IT! AND IT ACTUALLY LOOKS DECENT!




Wow Look At Those Layers



Want A Piece??



And there you have it folks. My first attempt at baking and it turned out pretty good. The white cake wasn't quite as moist as the chocolate cake so I probably wouldn't make that recipe again but other than that, I'd say it was pretty tasty. One thing the whole process made me realize is that it's harder than it looks to make a cake visually appealing. A cake can taste alright if you have a good recipe and follow the directions but making it look pretty and decorative is definitely the toughest challenge. So props to you Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss haha. Now it's time for me to sign off and go get me some cake! Goal #71 Bake a cake from scratch

3 comments:

  1. 1. I love you but... there are lots of grammatical errors here :X
    2. Pretty sure I treated YOU at the bar!
    3. Why did you distort that picture of me?? I look like a munchkin freak
    4. Your picture captions are really lame hahahahahaa in an endearing way ("Want a piece??")
    5. The cake did look awesome though
    6. It also tasted awesome!
    7. I LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I attempted to fix some supposed grammatical errors and took out the part about the bar. I also did my best to fix your munchkin-like freakishness.

    P.S. I actually did have a piece of cake after finishing this haha.

    P.P.S. Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO!!! nice!!! not the greatest!! or kinda?

    ReplyDelete