Friday, April 30, 2010

Don't Think, Act

A wise man once told me the doctrine that he lives by:
"Don't think, act".

At the time this sounded like a ridiculous way to live your life. I mean, before you make a decision you have to weigh all the pros and cons and analyze all the possible repercussions right? Right???

Ok, ok so it wasn't exactly a wise man who told me this concept. It was more of a wise-ass friend of mine who was referring to how he makes his partying/drinking decisions. But nevertheless, a recent conversation with Marcella brought me back to this interesting idea of acting without thinking. We started talking about looking and applying for jobs and how the best way to succeed is probably to just apply to anything and everything that sounds interesting. You can't sit and ponder over petty details or ask yourself all these 'what ifs' or else the job will be gone and you'll be left behind still mulling over whether or not to apply. In this case, it seems my wise-ass friend's doctrine is correct. I need to stop sitting there and wondering if I'm qualified enough or have the proper experience for a certain job and just apply. The worst that can happen is I don't get a job that I didn't expect to get in the first place...

Delving deeper into this new way of thinking, it probably wouldn't hurt to add a little of this reckless acting to my everyday life. I constantly over-analyze decisions and as a result I am extremely indecisive. For example, I've always been the last to finish a test because I review and re-review my answers (I've literally been last to finish many midterms/finals in college classes with 800+ students). I'm usually late to follow trends because I want to see how they work out before I get into them. I hate deciding where to eat because there are simply just too many choices. Over-thinking and over-analyzing things are definitely negative character traits that I'd like to get rid of because it comes off as unconfident and apprehensive and it leads to a ton of wasted time. Unfortunately I've been this way my whole life so I'm not expecting a miracle transformation tomorrow but what I will do is try to make decisions faster. I don't need to weigh the pros and cons and make a list of possible options for everything. I don't need to get 50 million different opinions and stress over tiny inconsequential decisions.
I JUST NEED TO DO!!

This Day Zero Project is about making the most out of life and accomplishing goals and I certainly won't progress if I'm wasting time over-thinking my ideas. So here's to continued success, just in a faster and more spontaneous way...

No comments:

Post a Comment